1. Lacoste Shirt
2. Levi straight-leg jeans
3. People tree breton top
4. River Island jumper
5. Oasis dress
In the spirit of January and spring cleaning I've been thinking about clearing out my wardrobe, and looking at the things which I have bought and regretted, clothes that were poor quality and have worn out, or just things which aren't my style any more. Although I have been focusing on why those items didn't work, I thought it was worth a look too at the items which have been excellent buys, and which I wear pretty much every weekend, in some cases for years, without them ever feeling old, worn or outdated.
I can't remember exactly how long I have owned some of these items, but I suspect some are around the five year mark now, and continue to be the workhorses in my wardrobe. Unsurprisingly they are all shades of blue and grey, relatively plain, and go with everything else I own.
1. Lacoste shirt. This was a pretty expensive purchase for me, and pretty much the second day I wore it I managed to get it covered in blue nail polish! Thanks goodness for my mother's amazing stain removal skills as I ran crying to her, having no idea how to save it! It's such a great classic item, and is a really thick, well made fabric. I can see it being in my wardrobe for years to come.
2. Levi straight leg jeans. Another of my more pricey items, and the most recent of my purchases here but already a favourite. I can see from what I have picked that when it comes to basics like these it is worth while spending a bit more money. These are the perfect fit all over, and remain just right even after several washes.
3. People Tree Breton top. This was from when Emma Watson did a range for People Tree, and for a celebrity collaboration it has had pretty impressive staying power. I love how simple it is, it fits beautifully, and still looks just as good as it did the first day I bought it, despite that being years ago.
4. River Island jumper. River Island isn't somewhere I shop often, so it does seem unusual to have something from there in my top five. This jumper though has been such a good buy. I throw it on pretty much every weekend when it is cold, as it looks great, and fits comfortably over t-shirts and under coats.
5. Oasis dress. Finally this Oasis dress, which I ordered online and when it first arrived I wasn't sure whether to keep it. I am very glad I did though! It works well with tights and boots in the winter, and with sandals in the summer, and I like that its so plain it goes with everything. It's perfect for pairing with a scarf or statement necklace.
What are the best buys in your wardrobe?